9.30.2009

Tsunami Eyewitness

Hi everyone,

First off, I wanted to let everyone know that Meow (our cat) and I are both ok. We were lucky enough to have a house up on a hill, and was left largely unaffected. To everyone who doesn't know the story, though:

Yesterday morning, I was jolted awake by the earthquake, and waited for it to end, and waited, and waited. It seemed like one of the longest moments in my life. I finally got up and eyed the door frame to see if I should start standing under it. Finally, though, it subsided.

I walked out of the bedroom and tried to find Meow. She was hanging by her claws on one of the curtain rods. I didn't know if she was rattled by the earthquake, or was just excited by the buoyancy it gave her. Either way, I grabbed her and started preparing for work. As I was fiddling with the computer, I looked out of the window, and saw the first tidal wave heaving all the boats in the harbor to and fro, like so much dead twigs in a pond. That's when I ran to the other window for a better view. It was a storm without the rain. A perfect sunny day, but with the damage of a hurricane. There were a series of waves that swept to and fro, and only later did I hear that the force was so strong that it literally sucked the water dry from the reef when it receded, and then smashed the water against the shore when it came back in. This went on for a good part of an hour, after which I only remembered to start calling people. I got a hold of Tim in Maryland (he's on a conference trip), and told him excitedly about what happened. It was still exhilarating at this point, since I've never seen anything like it.

But only after putting the phone down did the horrors actually start. Groups of people started running up our steep driveway. I waited for a bit, because our landlord's wife was crying and screaming for her kids. After a little bit, I ventured outside, and asked her if they were ok. She said that their house is flooded, and that on the next fale over, a woman had drowned, and her 4-year old girl was missing. I don't know if they have found her already.

The power went out shortly after I spoke to Tim, and the water, and then the phones. It was at this time that I started cataloguing the contents of the fridge and pantry. Around 1pm, I finally took out our camping stove and cooked my lunch (our stove is electrical), and slept/read the day away. This was around the time that I became really grateful that Tim had bought that case of water for emergency. The sirens went non-stop the whole morning and evening, and since I had no other sources of information, so I just decided to stay indoors and avoid getting in the rescue people's way.

Towards afternoon, I tried the cellphone again, and was able to call my mom, and assured her I was ok. Dada, another Filipina I know here, finally got a hold of me too via phone, and offered me a place to stay. However, seeing as I couldn't leave Meow, I told her I was fine for now. Instead, I passed the night away, reading with our camping flashlights, and sleeping with Meow in bed.

In the morning, I woke up and was half expecting another earthquake or tsunami to happen (yes, worst-case scenario), but I didn't know that the disaster I was expecting would happen as I drove through the blasted landscape later that morning. Instead, I got up and took out all the food that I could save from the fridge, took a bar of soap, and grabbed my backpack. I would be taking a shower at work, and cooking my dinner in our work kitchen.

When I finally got out, they had cleared off the debris on the road from yesterday, so that people could drive already. However, they could not clear the destruction on the sides of the road. I drove through a landscape so unreal, so unlike the familiar, that it felt like I was driving on another land. There were so many cars that were stranded on the sides of the road, smashed up and beyond repair, that any Samoan who first looked upon them would probably end up sobbing. I counted 10 boats on people's lawns, and finally stopped counting; it was just too depressing. It turned out that the only boats that were saved were the ones that had people living on them, i.e. rich people's yachts, who were able to maneuver throughout the tempest the whole time. All the other boats, the fishermen's boats, the working men's boats, the poor people's boats, are now decorating people's yards. I passed by a large wooden house that was uprooted and smashed against a neighbor's. There were spaces of land that seemed strange to me, and only later did I find that some whole houses were completely swept away.

It turned out that the areas most affected was a village (Leone) on the far west side, and Pago Harbor, where we lived. The water had funneled through the harbor's opening, and added impetus to the already terrifying rush of water, so that the bottom part of the harbor was devastated. Only the upper arms of the harbor escaped with only a slight rising of water. The gas station that Tim liked, the korean market, and countless homes were smashed up, but hey, at least McDonald's is still standing, hooray hooray.

When I got to work, I started hearing more stories of what happened. The power plant close to us was destroyed and we would have no power for the next month, another Filipina was washed away and found in a creek, a Korean store owner drowned inside his store. So many stories, so many people that someone knew.

What finally got through the fog to me though was how small the community here was. One person would call someone else and started checking if everyone there was ok, and then that person would call other people they knew, and so on. By this morning, everyone knew who was missing, who was there when it happened, and who has survived. Two completely unrelated people that I know was able to track and call each other, trying to find out if either one had talked to me. Tenuous relationships like this become even more tangible, networks of people become even more defined, and stories of people you know are more heartfelt. Indeed, in a small community, your best resource, whether for help, for information, or just for comfort, is the people around you.

Michelle Brinker

3 comments:

Patrick said...

Michelle, really glad to hear you're okay! Some friends back here asked about you and Tim as well. You're in our thoughts! Thank you for the report too, just linked here from my blog.

Dana Cline said...

Michelle, thanks for the post - there's not much information flooding in from Samoa. Maybe hopefully you can satisfy my curiosity...in one of the video shots we've seen, there's a cruise ship in the harbor (with a yellow vertical smokestack). Do you have any idea which ship it may have been, and was it there when the waves hit? Also, do you have any idea whether Tisa (of Tisa's Barefoot Bar) is OK? I assume the bar is gone...

Unknown said...

Hi Michelle ~ I am so happy to hear that you and Meow and Tim are all OK. Must be sad to see all the destruction and injuries, etc.
Boy, what a time for Tim to be back here in Maryland !! I see by his blog that he is very busy in the ER. Very sad that this has happened to those people. But again, glad you are OK. Take Care.
Hugs, Annette King